Under Napoleon III, Vichy was booming. If people came here to take the waters, they also liked to have fun. “Seeing and being seen” was the unwavering motto of the “noble” curists. These actors of the worldly evenings like games, balls and shows. The spa town must be up to the task. The Emperor imposes to the Compagnie fermière (manager of the springs and the thermal establishments) to take care of this requirement. And so, in 1865, the first casino-theater of Vichy was built by the architect Charles Badger.